Thursday, December 8, 2016

Extra Reading Notes: The Ballads of Robin Hood

Reading Notes
. . .
(Robin Hood Character by Karem Beyit)

. . .
The Golden Arrow
I find that I really enjoyed the ballad formatting of the Robin Hood tales. As noted by my frequent postings of them poems are becoming my favorite type of creative writing and I always am fascinated on how many ways there are to tell a story especially while creating a melody to the ballad itself. With poems I have just started to write in more intricate rhyme patterns and this ballad showed how rhyme patterns can be twisted to be melodies instead.

Robin Hood and the Valiant Knight
This ballad was interesting because of the writing itself rather than the framework. For me, rhymes create a sense of anticipation as the reader goes onto the next line but even so, the story itself wasted no time creating itself own sense of urgency with the climatic battle. This ballad felt like it had everything a great story should have: mystery, action, dialogue, charm all wrapped up into a plot with a natural flow. 

Robin Hood's Death
What I find funny about folklore in general is how many ending one story can cultivate over time. For me, I have never actually read literature concerning robin hood past children's story books. I have only read fairytales and watched movies about him but reading this different ending in ballad form was a treat! Being able to find a new ending in any familiar piece of work is always fascinating, so I can appreciate the values of the ballads by comparing it to the children's books and movies I have seen before.

. . .

All reading notes are based off of excerpts from The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898).

No comments:

Post a Comment