Thursday, August 25, 2016

Reading Options


Reading Options

. . .

Week 2 Reading:

(Photo pulled from Mythology and Folklore Unit: Cupid and Psyche)


For this upcoming week two, I have decided to read Unit: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche.
My reasoning for choosing this unit is my limited knowledge of this Roman tale. While I can say Greek/Roman mythology has always been an interest of mine and I do remember the majority of the tales, this one was one I had never heard of, which prompted me to choose it as my unit. Also disney movies are honored classics amongst my friends so as soon as the Beauty and the Beast comparison was made, I felt confident in my choice. 
. . .

Other Interesting Unit Readings:


This unit has my excited due to the trickster aspect it brings. Game-like mysteries or big decisions decided upon by games is one of my favorite concepts; therefore having a king who is out to covet one of these corpse wielding goblins suffer (or conquer) at the games they play will be really interesting to read. 


This unit grabbed my attention with the words, shaman and supernatural. While Native American tales are not ones that I would naturally seek out, that is what made me find this unit and its short description so intriguing. Because I am completely out of my zone when it comes to the subject matter, it will be fun to understand a different perspective of life through an Eskimo's eyes. 


While this unit will probably be counted as a predictable choice, I cannot help but be interested in one of the most famous pieces of literature to date. I have never read Dante's Inferno in its entirety but the work comes up in reference so often in different forms of media or in conversation that I have researched it quite a bit. Nonetheless, to actually read and form more thoughts on the poem will be a joy.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you want to look at Cupid and Psyche... her name is right there in the word "psychology" after all!

    But seriously, it is a beautiful story, and the writer C.S. Lewis did his own take on that as a novel: Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis ... I'm sure we have that in Bizzell; let me check - YES, on the shelf in Bizzell: PZ 3 .L58534 Ti2. It's wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete