Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Reading Notes: Dante's Inferno Part A

Reading Notes
Dante and Virgil
World building is such a timed honored craft and that can be seen in Dante's Inferno. Because the entire story is written from Dante's perspective, an effective replacement for the audience, the detail needs to be extremely descriptive for the reader to be swept up in the world. Simply the entrance into the dark woods alone sets up the entire eerie tone that the classic keeps in tact throughout the piece. I am not sure how I would work this into a story but it did teach me a lesson about how detail lets the piece survive on its own.

The Gate of Hell and Charon
This was an interesting part to read for me because when I think of Dante's Inferno I immediately skip to Dante exploring the rungs of hell. To actually read and understand the actual journey into hell provides a lot more insight into the character of Dante as well. For instance, Dante seems to act impulsively but has shame and guilt once the act is done. That is a very anxiety driven quality called being counter-phobic. This provides a good foundation for the behaviors and reactions Dante has throughout the piece. 

Limbo
Originally, I thought that limbo was a place for people who are still being judged (on whether to go to heaven or hell) were kept. But to account for the people who around before christianity is not only a smart move but a much needed one. As soon as I started reading I questioned what constituted a person being kept in hell and once that question was thought, a number of other questions followed in their footsteps. One of the marks of a great reading for me is when I have a question and it is promptly answered (unless there is mystery shrouded in such a question to provide aid to the plot). So accounting for those who were born before Christianity answers my question but also ties up any loopholes in the world.

. . .

All reading notes are based off of excerpts from Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002).

No comments:

Post a Comment