Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Story: Twenty-Two Goblins

Fourth Time's a Charm
. . .

(Suitors Vying for a Woman)
. . .

A King, so mighty and high
Fell indebted to a Monk just trying to get by
The Monk, you see, had been giving the king hidden jewels
For this grace, the King granted him a pack of mules

"No, dear King, what I desire is not cattle,"
"But rather, for someone to dissolve this problem I tackle!"
"A problem?" said the King quite clearly
"Yes! A problem with a goblin who robs me so dearly!"

And so the King grateful for the Monk's help
Went off to fulfill the Monk's request with a great yelp
"Off I go into the night,"
"To fetch a goblin from a great tree's height!"

Once he fetched the goblin down from the tree
The goblin awoke with a bright glee
"Oh King let me once tell you a riddle,"
"It tells of a boy stuck in the middle..."
. . .

In a charming kingdom, far far away
Lived a beauty as undeniable as the day
This beauty was a boy named Charm
He was the son of the King and Queen to which none would do any harm

Charm was born out of Shiva's grace
Promising that his charm would put Aphrodite out of place
Once asked "what would be deemed as a suitable match?"
"A woman who knows a science front to back, that I would deem quite a catch!"

Soon word travelled all throughout 
And then came four scientific suitors from the south route
Prepared, was each woman with a science none could doubt
"Let me hear of these sciences, and hope a new love will sprout."

The first woman arrived with a beautifully sewn suit
"None could better fill out this piece than a beauty of such absolute."
The first suitor was indeed a seamstress of such refine
Her stitches almost seemed as if they were made from fine wine

The second woman then piped up to say 
"But I know all the calls of any beasts or prey!"
You see, the second woman knew of all and any animal
The father of Charm then responded, "Ah yes, a skill quite valuable!"

"Valuable? Ha! Yet what will you do when a beast attacks?"
Said the third woman waiting, "You could do nothing but see their tracks!"
"Unlike her, I am quite skilled with a sword!"
The third woman indeed could protect the Prince from any hoard

The fourth suitor, quiet up until that point, said "well what of my skill?"
"I can bring any man back from the dead, my hands, they have the magic to heal!"
Elated but puzzled by the fourth man's becoming power
The father cried,"I will make my decision within the hour!"
. . .

Hunched on the shoulder of King
The goblin asked, "So what of part of the story did you cling?"
"Can you answer the riddle of which suitor the father did choose?"
"Remember answer truthfully or your death shall be the end of this ruse!"

The shadowed King, confidently did he speak 
"Oh goblin, this riddle was indeed quite weak!"
The answer can easily be found in the crafts
To not see the answer, was to be quite daft

"The answer is neither the zoologist or seamstress,"
"For no father has a need for lessons or neatness."
"Neither is the answer the witch who can bring back lives,"
"For messing with such a fate can induced deadly hives."

"Alas, I believe the answer is the woman as fierce a man,"
"To be a swordsman of great caliber, is to be higher than those cavemen."
Rejoiced, the goblin did leap off the King
"Do catch up as I go back to my tree, for the Monk still needs you to bring!"

Off the goblin went to hang from the tree once again
And the King does follow as fast as he can
Thus the cycle does continue on
The King being played as tiny pawn
. . .

This story is based off of "The Four Scientific Suitors. To which should the girl be given?", an excerpt of Twenty-Two Goblins, translated by Arthur W. Ryder, with illustrations by Perham W. Nahl (1917).
. . .

Author's Note

The tale of "The Four Scientific Suitors. To which should the girl be given?" is one of the many riddles a goblin gives to a king. This king, who is indebted to a monk, is forced to give an answer to each of the goblin's riddles. For if he does not know the answer, he is allowed to keep on his journey to deliver the goblin to the monk. Yet if he knows the answer but does not say, his head will explode. But even worse, if he correctly guesses the answer the goblin leaps out of his reach and returns to the tree, forcing the king to trek all the back to get the goblin again. The reason I chose this riddle in particular is the fun challenge I might have retelling this one more than the others. 
For this story I challenged myself to retell the tale using two different techniques, a poem and gender-swapping.  While already familiar with the poem writing style, I wanted to try my hand at it again to see if I could do better at getting the point across with a shorter story. Yet I also wanted to try out an element I am thinking of using for my project: gender-swapping. Only changing the genders of the main girl and her four suitors, I tried to focus in on what were the consequences of doing such. For instance, if the first suitor is a tailor, does that make the female mirror a seamstress? Working out the kinks of what each gender change meant for the characters was an fun task to take on. Hopefully you enjoyed the piece! 


5 comments:

  1. That was fun! I love the idea of doing this as a poem. That just adds such a different element. Also, the gender swap was well done. I read this story this week as well, and at first I thought you were simply retelling it. I was so glad when suddenly it stopped being what I recognized! I thought you were very successful in choosing the nuances of what would be different if the suitors were female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great version of a story! I never would have been creative enough to come up with a poem that not only rhymes but also flows so well. I think you did a great job changing the story from the original story. I think that you truly did a great job. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belle,
    I loved reading your poem! It was fluid and rewrote the story in less words but didn’t sacrifice the story line or the details. I found myself getting into the story in my head instead of just reading. Great job! I was really confused about the goblin running back to the tree until the author’s note explained it. I like how you switched the gender roles. I feel like most stories like this it is the other way so it makes it different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you're really good at writing poems! It was easy to read and flowed beautifully, while still rhyming a lot! I'll admit it confused me at first that the gender roles were switched but it only makes it more unique! the goblin riddle was perfectly executed too.I was sitting there going " The healer! The healer!" I thought the king would be more interested in never really dying. It was cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belle I am in awe of you!! You write incredibly well. I can’t imagine the time it took to come up with a poem of that magnitude. Every stanza flowed together really well. I am thoroughly impressed. I like that your element to the story was switching gender roles, initially I was confused but your authors note did a wonderful job of explaining your reasoning and thought process. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete