Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Reading Notes: Native American Marriage Tales Part B

Reading Notes
. . .

(A Wishram woman in festive bridal raiment, 1911)
. . .

The True Bride
     
With this story, I found myself attaching some western fairytales to certain characters. For the stepmother, I immediately thought of Cinderella's stepmother; simultaneously the daughter's first venture out to pick berries initially reminded me of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears." I could rewrite this story as a western fairytale? 

The True Bride (Part II)
     
This was an interesting development to the True Bride story because instead of losing the stepmother won this round. By building a contraption to fake a strange birthing, the stepmother was able to have the young wife killed. More and more her villainous tendencies are reminding me that of the salem witch trials; it could be an interesting mix or take on this "fairytale."

The True Bride (Part III)
     I loved how with this part it focused on a different member of the family, the loved dog and his undying love for the young wife's abandoned children. I liked how this one reflect the first story and was set up more like a journey than a tale of one instance. Very fable like in its framework but also fairytale like in its verse.

The True Bride (Final Part)
    This last part had all the makings for a happy ending to this tale. It taught me how to properly wrap up a story because it tied up every question the tale had presented. We found out how the dog is the true hero, all the villains were punished, and the young wife and husband came back together once again with their two boys.

. . .

All reading notes are based off of stories from Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson (1929).

No comments:

Post a Comment